Membership of the Japan-British Society is open to individuals of all nationalities and corporations interested in the promotion of Anglo-Japanese relations and provides an important and attractive forum within which members can meet on an informal and friendly basis.
- Opportunities to attend a variety of events on UK-Japan relations; formal parties, lectures on UK/Japan issues, gallery visits, afternoon teas, and casual parties etc.
- Special events include welcome/farewell receptions for Her Majesty’s Ambassadors in Japan, and receptions hosting members of the Royal Family and Imperial Family.
- Events are arranged at exclusive venues such as the British Embassy Tokyo, members-only clubs, VIP rooms at racetrack. Some galleries offer special opening hours for JBS members. The society’s annual golf tournament is held at Hodogaya C.C., which is one of the most prestigious golf courses in Japan.
- Networking opportunities to connect with almost 1,700 members (individual and corporate) all with a shared interest in UK-Japan cultural and social exchange.
- Most JBS events are offered at discounted rates for members, some events are members-only, and some are free of charge.
- Reciprocal membership agreements are made with 21 regional Japan-British Societies in Japan and also with the Japan Society of the UK. Members are entitled to join hosted events as members at each society. Other related organisations would also offer members’ rates at lecture/seminar events for JBS members.
- Members can enjoy offers and special promotions throughout the year. These include discounts on tickets for UK and Japan related cultural performances, such as concerts, theatre, ballet and opera, as well exhibition tickets and other gifts.
- Members can borrow books on UK/Japan matters from the library of the JBS Secretariat office.
Non-members, who wish to receive the Society’s Circular Notices, may order them from the Society’s Secretariat through the “contact us” page on the main menu. Circular Notices will be posted at the cost of the recipient.
How to apply
To apply for Membership, please apply via the form on this page and a representative of the society will contact you.
Note that for individual membership, applications should be supported by the recommendation of a member of the society or will require an interview. All applications are screened by the Board of the Society, at whose discretion new members are elected.